I went shopping today at Cairo's infamous Khan el-Khalili Bazaar; an intricate maze of shops and outdoor vendors that go on endlessly for several blocks. A variety of souvenirs can be purchased for a "special price" such as mother of pearl hand crafted jewelry boxes, colorful scarves, shisha pipes, Arabian lanterns, pharaonic and pyramid statuettes, inlaid wood furniture, exotic clothing, and eye-catching jewelry. The choices were plentiful, and bargaining was a verbal blood sport between shopper and vendor as each haggled tenaciously to the bitter end; both anticipating victory. I came out the victor, but not without scars and war wounds bleeding out of my wallet. Nonetheless, I was happy with my purchases and hope family and friends will too, as I've already started shopping for Christmas. Ho! Ho! Ho!
Sunday, February 15, 2009
Shopping at the Khan el-Khalili Bazaar
I went shopping today at Cairo's infamous Khan el-Khalili Bazaar; an intricate maze of shops and outdoor vendors that go on endlessly for several blocks. A variety of souvenirs can be purchased for a "special price" such as mother of pearl hand crafted jewelry boxes, colorful scarves, shisha pipes, Arabian lanterns, pharaonic and pyramid statuettes, inlaid wood furniture, exotic clothing, and eye-catching jewelry. The choices were plentiful, and bargaining was a verbal blood sport between shopper and vendor as each haggled tenaciously to the bitter end; both anticipating victory. I came out the victor, but not without scars and war wounds bleeding out of my wallet. Nonetheless, I was happy with my purchases and hope family and friends will too, as I've already started shopping for Christmas. Ho! Ho! Ho!