Thursday, May 19, 2011

Palermo



Puerto Nuova
  



The Chiesa di San Cataldo (The Church of San Cataldo)

Fontana Pretoria (Pretoria Fountain)

The Cattedrale di Palermo (Cathedral of Palermo)

Cattedrale di Palermo

Teatro Massimo (Massimo Theatre)


The Catacombe di Cappuchini (Capuchin Catacomb)






On my last day in Sicily, I drove 2 hours northwest and toured Palermo. Although it is the region's capital, Palermo is ironically known for the birthplace of the mafia. When I arrived, I drove through the archway of the Porta Nuova and parked at the Piazza del Parlamento and found myself visiting the Parliament grounds, Fontana Pretoria, La Cattedrale di Palermo, Teatro Massimo, and Chiesa di San Cataldo. However, none of these sites affected me more than the Catacombe di Cappuccini, which has been around since the 16th century. I found the catacomb bizarre and disturbing because  its walls were lined with mummified skeletons in period clothing!  As I walked down the dimly lit corridors of the catacomb, I was subjected to a thousand eyeless stares that even now leaves me shuddering at the memory. Yet this did not mar my overall impression of Palermo, but added to the experience!  I was sad to leave Sicily, but was very thankful for the respite after the tumultous months spent  in revolutionary Cairo. It was exactly what I needed. Perfecto!