Over the Memorial Day holiday week, I hopped on a plane and flew to Peru for a 10-day South American adventure that began in the Amazon Rainforest of Puerto Maldonado; the Andean mountain region of Cusco (where Machu Picchu "The Lost City of the Incas" was located); and lastly to the capital city of Lima. I stayed at the Reserva Amazonica, which was a beautiful eco lodge jungle resort that had thatched roof bungalows, comfortable beds with mosquito netting overlays, and rustic porches equipped with furniture made out of indigenous wood and comfy hammocks that were perfect for a late afternoon nap. I spent 3 days tromping through the rainforest with a local guide that carried a machete, and patiently explained the bizarre jungle flora and exotic animals that crossed our pathways. Some of the animals that we saw were 3-toed sloths, toucans (long beaked birds: think Toucan Sam), pygmy marmosets (finger-size monkeys!!!), macaws (colorful parrots), brown agoutis (huge rodents), tarantulas, caimans (South American crocs), anacondas, and piranhas. The last three were seen in the swampy waters of the Amazon's tributaries and lakes on my second day's adventure that had me canoeing in these thrilling waters. Talk about an adrenaline rush! On my third day, I did a "Canopy Walk" on swinging bridges that were 100 ft high above the densely forested jungle that was about a 45 min. hike of unstable footing! It was these bridges that led me to the Canopy Treehouse that I spent the night in on my last night in the jungle. It was so Swiss Family Robinson-like! At night the jungle was alive with all sorts of noises--- including the growl of a panther!!! Thankfully, it never visited me that night. However, by request I did get a visit by one of the region's tribal shaamans (medicine man). I had elected to participate in a spiritual ceremony called a "flowering bath". The shaaman wore a loin cloth, colorful blanket that was wrapped around him, and a feathered headress. He chanted in a native tongue and made graceful hand sweeping motions over my head, as I sat cross-legged on the treehouse floor. The treehouse had no electricity and the jungle at night was pitch black. The only light came from ceremonial candles that the shaaman had lit around me. He was eerily beautiful in the candle light, as he continued with his incantations and hand motions. The ceremony lasted about an hour, and was spirtually moving. The last thing that he did was pick up a tribal pottery bowl full of fragrant petals. Slowly and gently, he poured the contents of the bowl over me, as I remained in a sitting positon. The "flowering bath" was to cleanse my aura and awash me in peace, prosperity, and positive energy. Ironically, I lost my camera 3 days later. Egads. Why did I only save 2 pics of my Amazon experience on my laptop before my camera disappeared? They are presented below. The remaining pics were courtesy of Reserva Amazonica.
![]() |
| Me goofing on the "Canopy Walk." |
![]() |
| Brown Agouti (rodent) |
![]() |
| Bungalow pic courtesy of Reserva Amazonica. |
![]() |
| Interior pic courtesy of Reserva Amazonica. |
![]() |
| Canopy Treehouse pic courtesy of Reserva Amazonica. |
![]() |
| Interior pic courtesy of Reserva Amazonica. |