Friday, October 28, 2011

A Little Staycation in Aswan, Egypt


Welcome to Awan!





My comfy hotel
 

Feluca sailors

Pharonic Stone Quarry
  
Unfinished Obelisk

Craccccck!

Philae Temple






Time to head back.


Ok, so I'm a little behind on my blogging. LOL. So, I will try to update as much as I can. In late August, I traveled to Aswan which is the southern most point city in Egypt closest to the border of North Sudan. I traveled during Eid (Egyptian holiday period celebrating the end of Ramadan), wanting very much to get away from the overpopulation and smog of Cairo, and to a more tranquil and aesthetic environment which Aswan provided in spades! It was sooo much more relaxing, and the Nile was bluer and cleaner! It was a wonderful 3 day staycation as I mainly spent my time sailing on the Nile. I also spent my time visiting Pharonic sites, such as the Unfinished Obelisk that still remains in the rock quarry from where it was started due to a crack that developed halfway through the process. My favorite site was the Philae Temple, which was a barrier island off of Aswan that had temples dedicated to the Egyptian goddess Isis. However, I soon discovered the best temple yet to come was the temple of Abu Simbel that I visited the following day, which is highlighted in my next blogpost. So, stay tune!