Last night I saw "Across The Universe" on DVD and was blown away! How did I miss this in 2007? An astounding rock opera of Beatles tunages that told a story of six principle players living in the throes of the Vietnam conflict, anti-Vietnam protests, and the Civil Rights movement. Despite the violence of the times, the fresh voices sung by a cast of new-talented no-names (except for Rachel Evan Woods who revealed her rich singing voice for the first time) were uplifting. The movie wove a medley of impressionable Beatles songs sung amid psychedelic and special effect montages. Cameo performances of Joe Cocker's "Come Together" and (U2) Bono's "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" were highlights of the movie. Although "Across The Universe" wasn't a box office hit, I absolutely LOVED it! It's the kind of film that gets better with every viewing. Don't miss it!

This made me recall another Beatles' rock musical film that I defiantly loved (although it, too, didn't fare well in the box office): "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band". Released in 1978, it featured Beatles' songs from the album of the same name and "Abbey Road". Rock 70s artists Peter Frampton and The Bee Gees played the film's primary characters, along with an assembly of impressive cameos of the time - George Burns, Alice Cooper, Steve Martin, Aerosmith, and Earth Wind and Fire. Like "Across the Universe," its predecessor "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" performed a beautiful tribute of Beatles' hits befitting the famed four from Liverpool. The Beatles Roccccck!