Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Happy Easter!

When I was a child growing up in NC, my family used to live across the street from this amazing yard. It was beautifully landscaped and meticulously TLC'd by its homeowner Ronnie. Ronnie pretty much kept to himself. His neighbors knew the yard, but not the man. Ronnie was a gifted gardener. During the week, he would pore hours of loving devotion to his yard-gallery. I can still see him pushing his lawn mower, raking up grass, kneeling over his flower beds, pulling up weeds, planting his flowers.... busy, busy, busy. To me the most beautiful time of the year is Easter. I credit this to the quiet man who loved his yard. Ronnie's yard cheered the neighborhood with its bounty of flowers, and were a welcomed sight each year. My favorite flower combos to this day are purple tulips and yellow daffodils. Ronnie would plant so many of them throughout his yard, and by Easter they would burst forth and bloom into vivid beacons of Spring. Although tulips and daffodils do not grow in Egypt, I still acquaint them with Easter. Maybe it is why I write nostalgically for this floral pair, and recall fondly the genesis of when they became my favorites. So, Ronnie, wherever you are, thank you for unknowingly giving me a lifetime love for purple tulips and yellow daffodils at Easter. No matter where I am, I still appreciate the sight of them during holy week. Happy Easter!