Monday, May 3, 2010

On Pins and Needles!

So, I've been toying around with alternative medicines lately. One that I tried for the first time is acupuncture; the Chinese method of healing through nerve stimulation. In acupuncture, sterile needles are lightly applied to the body's pressure points. I had been suffering from migraine headaches, and had read that acupuncture was an alternative way to combat this. As luck would have it, I found a local Chinese Health Center in Cairo, and therefore made an appointment. As soon as I walked in, I instantly was put at ease by soothing pan flute music played overhead, and greeted with a steaming cup of Chinese herbal tea. The acupuncturist started by patiently explaining the procedure to me and answering my questions. I was then led to a back room where I was given a gingham clinic gown and instructed to lie on my back on an examination table with my arms down and palms up. And then she began....



She placed needles at various pressure points on my face and the top of my head.



Then continued to place them on my neck, wrist, arms, abs, legs, and feet. At this point, my acupuncturist admonished me about taking photos, and hence had to quit. LoL. So, these were the only ones I clicked before I put my camera away.



The acupuncturist was gentle and quick. The needle pricks were slight, and very tolerable. After she stuck me with about 30 needles, she left me on the examination table, dimmed the lights, and told me to relax. I laid there like a pin cushion, and focused on the mystical sounds of Asian pan flute music. It was a surreal experience to say the least.



After 15 minutes, she came back and removed the needles. Swabbing each site with alcohol pads. My head felt really good. I was headache free, and totally relaxed. I don't regret my decision. I definitely would do it again. Next time though, I may bring my iPod... and listen to something a li'l more rockin'. LoL.