The next morning I started out at 2 am (yikes!) on the rigorous pilgrimage up Mount Sinai, a.k.a. Moses' Mountain. Hundreds of people from around the world came to St. Catherine's for this spiritual sunrise climb, and I was one of about 500 that day. Peeps could go by foot or camel. I chose the latter since I was still getting over a bronchial infection. Regardless of what method of travel peeps chose, it was an exhausting journey.
Along the way, there were canteen rest stops that were run by the Sinai bedouins. They were a welcomed sight after hours spent on the trail in the dark. The pilgrimage route was pitch black except for the twinkling lights of hundreds of flashlights, which made the experience more surreal.
This was the rest stop prior to the 750 steps climb. At this point, camel riders had to dismount and go the rest of the way by foot. The daunting climb was SO steep!
When we reached the top, we were euphoric but utterly exhausted. It took 3 hrs to get up there, and we still had a half hour to go before sunrise was to appear. My friend Dave took advantage of the break by taking a little cat nap.
And then the sky started to lighten up.
Ever so slowly, the sun peeped out from its lair.
Then cameras started clicking.
Gooooood Morrrrrning, Sunrise!
The top of Mount Sinai was filled to clicking capacity!
And then with a collective groan, it was time to make our way down and return rented blankets back to the bedouin rest stops.
It was strange "seeing" our surroundings! The view was spell binding and unnerving at the same time.
It was God's country!
The journey was not easy, but it was so worth the experience!
Break Time!
Bedouins greeted us at the bottom of the 750 steps and haggled with us over a "good price" to ride their camels back to the monastery. And haggle I did! Thankfully, I got another sweet docile mount!
However, the camel station was a crowded site to get through!
But then we were off!
This was my bedouin camel guide.
I had fun taking pictures along the way.
And then the welcoming sight of St. Catherine's loomed ahead in the distance. I was so ecstatic! It had been a long morning, and a long 6 hr round trip journey. My back ached, and my knees hurt. However, I was blessedly thankful for having done it. To think that Moses had made a similar journey to meet with God, made all my aches and pains disappear. It was a spiritual and unforgettable journey of a lifetime!



