My blog fountain is runneth-ing over again, and with it comes a reservoir of tales gushing forth. One I'm hesitant to relive, but feel moved to write about for historic purposes, was the bombing in Cairo at the Khan el-Khalili Market on February 23, 2008. It was a Sunday night, approximately 7:30 pm local time, when I received a text message on my cell phone that a bombing had occurred at the Khan and all US personnel were to call or text back for an immediate recall muster. WHAT?!? I was JUST there a week prior! I remember thinking the recall was probably a drill. A necessary protocol put in place to practice for the real thing. Well, this was THE REAL THING and thankfully no Americans were injured or killed. However, 22 international tourists were not so lucky; one of which, resulted in death. A French teen, on her way home from an extended school trip, never made it back. It was a surreal night. I remember numbly going through the motions to account for everyone, and pushing back the fact that a bomb had gone off not more than 10 miles from my home. One of my workers informed me that families in the States were already calling and checking on their families here. WHAT?!? The States already knew? Thanks to technology, news releases of the bombing had been sent out on real time. Unfortunately, I had just moved into my new home and I didn't have internet access yet. Family couldn't reach me through my Skype internet phone. Thankfully, a colleague called my family at my request and let them know I was alright.
The next day was business as usual. Got up. Ate breakfast. Went to work. Period. Living in the Middle East you have to always remain vigilant for the unexpected, but you CAN'T let the terrorists win... here... there... anywhere. It's ok to be afraid, but NOT ok to stop living. You can't hide in your shadows. You can't remain in your house. Life, after all, is too short. Tragedy can strike at any time. Live life to the fullest I say. Damn the torpedoes. LIVE LIFE OUT LOUD, y'know? Admittedly, I'm a gypsy at heart. I enjoy my travels. More importantly, I enjoy my freedoms. Hence, the following week-end I went horseback riding. I refuse to let the blankety-blank terrorists win.