Tonight I attended a Spanish dance company's (Antonio Gades) performance of Carmen. Ironically, Carmen is ranked as the fourth most performed opera in America, but this particular interpretation focused on the dance.
The story is about a wanton, fiery tempered gypsy named Carmen, who freely gives her love in the backdrop of Seville, Spain circa 1830. She woos a young soldier named Don José away from his current love. Smitten with the alluring gypsy, he incites a mutiny against his military superior, and joins a gang of smugglers. When Carmen grows tired of Don Jose' and shifts her attention to a handsome bullfighter named Escamillo, Don Jose' murders Carmen in a jealous rage.
The energy of the performance was palpable as the Spanish Co. performed Flamenco dances with quick footed ease and energetic hand clapping. The performance was NOT a ballet. It was "Lord of the Dance" meets Flamenco. However, it was entertaining and culturally enriching. In the background, Spanish acoustic guitars were strummed with crescendoed fervor, and there was even singing! It was minimal at best, but was intermixed during the climatic build up of Flamenco foot stomping. Did I enjoy the performance? Yes. Did I love it? Well, let's just say that the operatic version would have been better. As I filed out of the Opera House, I admired the water fountain in the outer lobby that was still adorned in holiday cheer. I found it pleasantly uplifting and for some reason prompted me to hum the theme song as I headed out the door. Hmnn mmmn hmnnn mmnnnn......