Thursday, December 31, 2009

Double the Feature, Double the Fun!

I headed to the mall early this morning to watch "Avatar" in 3D. But curses, my plans were foiled when the film projector in the theater room broke down, and the manager had the unfortunate task of telling a packed audience to exit and get their money refunded. I left and exchanged my ticket for "Sherlock Holmes".



Guy Ritchie, Madonna's soon-to-be ex, directed this cutting edge tongue in cheek period caper about the legendary detective and his faithful side kick. Robert Downey, Jr. plays Sherlock Holmes and Jude Law plays Dr. Watson, a brilliant pair with rapier wit, and astounding deductive reasoning. The chemistry between these two men were superb, and Rachel McAdams as Irene Adler, Sherlock's nemesis/love interest, was the perfect trimming to the story. It was action packed. Superbly acted. Funny. AWESOME!


When the movie let out, I noticed that the line to the "Avatar" window was forming again. Quickly, I confirmed that "Avatar" was showing, purchased a ticket, and then made a bee-line to the designated theater.





The movie was without a doubt spelling binding, cinematically beautiful, and action packed. The colors were phenomenal, and the story lines sweeping. A "Fern Gully" meets "Transformers" with romance. The CGI specials effects were incredible and the inclusion of 3-D effects made it even more incredible. Both movies are a definite must see! TWO THUMBS UP!



As I left the theater, I admired the giant Christmas tree underneath a suspended Santa Clause and 8 tiny reindeers that decorated the mall's central courtyard. These Christmas decorations are anomalies in an Islamic country, and were evidence of the power of commercialism. Ho! Ho! Ho!