Saturday, July 10, 2010

Twerd Update: TTS Eclipse Review




Dear Twerds and Tweeks Club,

I know I've been out of commission lately, but have appreciated all the pre-411 mails and blogs on The Twilight Saga (TTS) Eclipse's premiere in the States. Like the last Twi-film, I was on pins and needles for the premiere in Cairo. I saw it last night and let's just say that I am eagerly awaiting the unveiling of TTS Breaking Dawn 1 & 2! I'm so glad Hollywood is going to split the last book into two Twi-films. I'm not ready yet to say good-bye to my favorite saga characters. But I digress... many have written me wondering what my take was on the third Twi-film installment, so here TTCs, I goeth:

I was pleased that the Twi-film pretty much followed the book. It definitely had better action, acting on the other hand - not so much. That being said, however comma, the essence of the characters stayed TRUE. TTS Eclipse may not win an Oscar, but it will win next year's MTV Awards "Best Kiss" and "Best Punch". LOL. I found it amusing how I reacted to the movie like I did with the book. I wanted to shake Bella with her pamby wafflings, but sheesh both Edward and Jacob were SO HAWT and SO EARNEST in their pursuits that she was quickly forgiven. I kept putting myself in Bella's shoes. LOL. My 18 y/o inner Tween was swooning when both were overtly wooing her... sigggggggh. I was NOT a fan of the directorial choices of camera CLOSE UPS throughout the film (except for Taylor Lautner's face because he is SO old school Hollywood-ly beautiful. Me likes!). On the close ups, I kept getting distracted with Bella's, a.k.a. Kristen Stewart's, pores and weird eyebrows. LOL! I thought the tent scene could have played out better by showing more of Edward's inner/outer struggles with the situation, and Jacob's pleasure in Edward's discomfort. This was one of my favorite parts in the book, so I had been looking forward to this scene. It just didn't live up to my expectations. I did like the line when Jacob told Edward that he was hotter than him; obviously an insider's joke for those that read the book. LOL. Bonus surprise: my conversion to Team Jasper! Holy Twi-Hunk, Batman! The Jasper speakeths. I never realized how yummy his Southern drawl was, and I totally loved his backstory on his life pre-Cullens, as I did Rosalie's. The audience definitely got a more historical perspective of how werewolves and vampires evolved. LOVED that! As for the villainous Victoria, I loved Ron Howard's daughter Bryce Howard's big film debut. I thought she did an excellent job playing the arrestingly beautiful, yet wicked Victoria. Kudos on her acting chops! Looking forward to seeing more of Bryce Howard in the film roles to come. Overall, I give TTS Eclipse two thumbs up! It stayed true to the author's depiction of how and why Edward was the better choice for Bella. Pooooor Jaky. It will be VERRRY interesting to see how TTS Breaking Dawn 1 & 2 will be played out with regards to him.... verrrrry interesting indeedy.