As my walk ended on a view of more modern day mansions across the way, I headed back to my rental car and exited out of Newport. On my way out, I admired the calm waters of the Atlantic and the plethora of sailboats and other vessels enjoying their day out on the water. I enjoyed my summer explorations in RI and CT immensely, and hope to return someday for more! Toodle-Loo, New England!
Friday, August 20, 2010
Newport's Cliff Walk
I let myself out the side gate of The Breakers and walked until I came upon a pathway that led me to Newport's Cliff Walk; a well known touristed access walk that covers 3.5 miles of naturally aesthetic trails and Newport's rugged New England coastline. I only had time to stroll down the northern end of the Cliff Walk, and therefore missed the southern end's backview of gilded age mansions that I did not get to visit. I deeply regret not touring "Rough Point," which belonged to the fourth Vanderbilt brother Frederick Vanderbilt, and then later to North Carolinian James Buchanan Duke, who founded his fortunes in the electric power and tobacco industries, and was the benefactor of Duke University. I hope to catch it on my next trip!










As my walk ended on a view of more modern day mansions across the way, I headed back to my rental car and exited out of Newport. On my way out, I admired the calm waters of the Atlantic and the plethora of sailboats and other vessels enjoying their day out on the water. I enjoyed my summer explorations in RI and CT immensely, and hope to return someday for more! Toodle-Loo, New England!
As my walk ended on a view of more modern day mansions across the way, I headed back to my rental car and exited out of Newport. On my way out, I admired the calm waters of the Atlantic and the plethora of sailboats and other vessels enjoying their day out on the water. I enjoyed my summer explorations in RI and CT immensely, and hope to return someday for more! Toodle-Loo, New England!