
One of the sites I was excited to visit in Copenhagen was "The Wonderful World of Hans Christian Andersen Museum." I loved fairy tales as a child, so for me to visit a museum that was dedicated to THE person that penned the well-loved tales that I grew up with was a definite must! Some of my HCA faves were "Thumbelina", "The Little Mermaid", "The Princess and the Pea", "The Emperor's New Clothes", "The Little Match Girl", and "The Ugly Duckling". My inner child was in TOTAL bliss!
Han Christian Andersen was born in Odense, Denmark (1805-1875), but was educated in Copenhagen and thrived there as a noted poet and children's literary author.


The museum presented wonderful exhibits that depicted HCA's life in Copenhagen, and the fascinating tales that he wrote about that enthralled visitors as they pushed buttons at each station and heard the narration of his delightful stories.

This was the "The Little Mermaid" station, and while I listened to the timeless fairy tale again, I couldn't help but be sadden by its ending. I'm so glad Disney took creative license when they produced the well-loved animation, because I'm such a sucker for happy endings!

I thought the "Thumbelina" exhibit was bright and cheerful. This was - and still is- my all time favorite Hans Christian Andersen tale! I, too, wanted to sleep within the velvety folds of a fragrant blossom, and cavort with luminous flower fairies as they danced and flitted from petal to petal in the fairy king's magical garden kingdom; the locale where I would marry the king and live... happily. ever. after. Did I also mention that I was a sucker for romantic notions?
Out of all the exhibits in the museum, "The Emperor's New Clothes" was my absolute favorite, because it simply made me laugh. Wouldn't you have laughed too???

I was delighted that the museum had HCA's top hat on display. To think that it once covered the head of the creative genius that inspired so many timeless tales was very humbling indeed. Thank you, Mr. Andersen, for the legacy of literature you left behind!

Before we boarded our cruise ship, Deb and I grabbed a late lunch at an outdoor cafe'.

This is a pic of a standard meal in Denmark. Note the abundance of porcine and seafood. All of it bland mind you, but was still interesting to order!