
I would have been remissed if I did not do a blog post on Anafora's little chapel in the desert. I loved the retreat's Coptic Christian Church, not only because of its unique architectural attributes but its church services that were given twice a day. Notably, outside of the church were 12 different mosaic tile crosses that went all the way around the exterior. The interior of the church was not typical of a Coptic Christian Church. Colorful handwoven Bedouin mats dominated the interior, which represented and welcomed "diversity" for all people that sought entrance. Instead of pews, there were rows of Bedouin floor pillows and wooden sitting stools that made church services relaxing and inviting. My favorite service was the evening's, because beeswax candles and terra cotta globes were lit that made the service beautiful and dream-like. Coptic service is similar to Greek Orthodox. Although I did not understand the prayers that were said in the Coptic language, the love for God and humanity were conveyed and spiritually moving. At the front of the church was the eye-shaped window that made me feel as if God was looking down on us. When I reflect back on that little desert church, a feeling of peace washes over me, and makes me yearn for its serene enclosure.

The front of the church had a whalebone-like archway that had terra cotta globes on both side that glowed beautifully at night.
 |
| The pottery garden in front of the church. |
 |
| One of the sisters walking past the church. |
 |
| The pottery garden lit at night. |
 |
| The "eye of God." |
 |
| Back corner of the church, which provided more seating. |
 |
| Beeswax candles and terra cotta globes that encircled the front altar. |
 |
| The symbolic "Tree of Life" was kept lit during the entire service. |
The church smelled of incense and beeswax candles.
 |
| Back of the church. |
After the evening service, I would climb the circular steps to the rooftop and continue my communion with God. So loved, loved, loved that little desert chapel....