Do you remember the 1964 film classic, "Zorba the Greek," adapted from Nikos Kazantzakis' novel of the same title? The film was a role-defining achievement for Anthony Quinn, who played Alexis Zorba, the high-spirited Greek peasant, who teaches a studious young man the dance of life - a.k.a. the film's philosophic anthem for the joy of living - set on the beautiful backdrop of the island of Crete. Following the film's popularity came the musical and ballet adaptations. Last month I was fortunate to have attended the latter, titled "Zorba." The Cairo Ballet Dance Company did an excellent job, and I was swept away with the music and the magesty of the performance. While I couldn't take pics at the ballet, I found a film clip of Zorba's famous dance for your viewing pleasure. OPAAA!
Friday, December 10, 2010
Zorba Ballet
Do you remember the 1964 film classic, "Zorba the Greek," adapted from Nikos Kazantzakis' novel of the same title? The film was a role-defining achievement for Anthony Quinn, who played Alexis Zorba, the high-spirited Greek peasant, who teaches a studious young man the dance of life - a.k.a. the film's philosophic anthem for the joy of living - set on the beautiful backdrop of the island of Crete. Following the film's popularity came the musical and ballet adaptations. Last month I was fortunate to have attended the latter, titled "Zorba." The Cairo Ballet Dance Company did an excellent job, and I was swept away with the music and the magesty of the performance. While I couldn't take pics at the ballet, I found a film clip of Zorba's famous dance for your viewing pleasure. OPAAA!