I just finished reading "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows; a fabo read from the get-go. I so wanted to dive into the book and meet all the delightful characters in person! It was funny, quirky, dramatic, historical, upbeat and romantic. More importantly, it was a revelation of the human spirit. The year is 1946 and England is recovering from the grim repercussions of WWII. The book is a compilation of letters centered around writer Juliet Ashton, who receives a letter from a stranger from Guernsey - one of the Channel Islands located between England and Northern France that fell under German occupancy during WWII. What inocently begins as a chanced correspondence, becomes a series of letters that introduces Juliet to the cast of characters of "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society". These eccentric, but charming islanders, share heart-warming, courageous, and humorous stories that beckon Juliet to Guernsey.... and consequently bring her laughter, tears, intrigue and love.
Despite the harsh references of German occupancy, the members of "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" were as colorful as its title, and were the key ingredients for a delicious read. The Society's spirit, courage, and staunch support of one another became fodder for which the heroine writes about and invariably embraces - introspect, drama, happy endings, et al.
*****Truly, a 5-Star Read! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
