Surrounded by "The Great Pyramid of Giza", oldest and largest of the pyramids built in 2589-66 B.C. and its 2 smaller pyramids of Kings Menkaure and Khafre.
"The Great Pyramid of Giza" built for King Khufu was massive and breathtaking. Security guards sat on camels on the pyramid's perimeter and stood watch with a roving eye.
No matter where you stood, these 3 pyramids stood elegantly against the sands of the desert.
Here I am at the base of "The Great Pyramid of Giza"...
I can't believe they allowed tourists to climb
over this "Ancient Wonder"!
A stone's throw from the pyramids were the tombs
of the high priests who readied the mummification process.
Hieroglyphics were intricately carved on the
walls outside of the tomb.
experience this in person?
The leonine Sphinx is known to the Arabs as "Abu al-Hol", the "Father of Terror". It is the "Guardian of the Giza Plateau".
Outside were worshipping altars that used to have giant Egyptian statues standing in column like fashion, as they stood guard over the first phase of the mummification process. These high towering Egyptian statues are now standing in Cairo's Egyptian Museum, which houses the greatest collection of "Pharaonic" treasures in the world.
I assure you I didn't photoshop this pic. LoL.
Mosques and Minarets (Ottoman-like towers) can be found throughout Cairo. The latter serves as loudspeakers that blast out Islamic prayers chanted five times a day.

And yet the modern city stands amongst the antiquities.
Mosques and Minarets (Ottoman-like towers) can be found throughout Cairo. The latter serves as loudspeakers that blast out Islamic prayers chanted five times a day.
serve as road stands during the day.
And yet the modern city stands amongst the antiquities.
the city's burgeoning Western influences.
to envision Moses flowing delicately amongst the
reeds, when you see it through today's eyes.
And yet, the delicate dance of old and new continues to prevail.
I arrived in Egypt late Tuesday night, after a long layover delay in Frankfurt, Germany due to bad snow and ice conditions there. However, despite my 2 day bedraggled jet-lagged state, I instantly became energized once my plane touched down into Cairo a half hour past eight. I tried to make out the Egyptian Arabic signs and its unusual lettering, before my eyes focused on the golden arches of McDonald's, as it brightly welcomed me from the interior windows of the airport. LoL. Here I had traveled over 7 thousand miles, just so I could see something from home. Regardless, it was a welcoming sign indeed. I went through customs fairly quick, before I was taken to a hotel in Ma'adi, located in the eastern section of Cairo. This was to be "home" for the next 2 weeks until a flat (apartment) could be readied for me. After eating my first Egyptian meal (lamb kabob over saffron rice) at the Egyptian restaurant next door, I returned to my hotel suite and collapsed into a sound and dreamless sleep. I went through the motions of checking in to my new assignment, before Thursday came round signaling the beginning of the week-end. Because Egypt is predominantly a Muslim country, Friday is a day of worship. Hence, Sunday through Thursday are Egypt's work week. On my first weekend in Egypt, I went to Giza (30 min. outside of Cairo) to see the The Great Pyramid and Sphinx of my dog-eared pages of my history books. Over 4,000 years old - older even than Jesus - this sight holds the #1 ranking of the 7 Wonders of the Ancient World (and ONLY Ancient Wonder still in existence). It truly was a sight to behold. I was awestruck by its grandeur and humbled by the work of umpteenth thousand slaves that made its venerable presence possible today. It was, without a doubt, mesmerizing! I can't believe that within one week of my arrival, I was able to explore the pyramids of Giza; an event that has been on my "Bucket List", since I was a little girl salivating over the pages of my history books. It makes me wonder how the rest of the weeks will compare? LoL.