While I was sunbathing today, beach goers in bikinis and banana hammocks walked around in mixed company and were completely at ease with what they were wearing. I doubt many of them were even aware that bikinis weren't the norm in the Middle East, where Muslim women prescribe to a strict code of modesty which only allows them to show face, hands, and feet. In fact there are segregated beaches, where "women's beaches" are the preference not the exception. At integrated beaches, Muslim women will sit fully clothed on the beach while the men cavort in the water. Thank goodness Sharm doesn't follow these practices!
I came across some interesting photos below. Although they're nearly a century apart, Muslim women in the 21st century ironically show less skin than their American vintage counterparts.

1920: American bathing suits exposed women's arms and lowered necklines, but shoes and stockings remained a requirement of respectability. The above pic shows vintage beauties sporting "tank suits".
2009: Muslim women still practice strict observances of modesty. The above photo is a Muslim woman sporting a "burkini". Egads. Can you imagine her tan lines?