The next stop was the Quaitbey Citadel, a beautiful fortress built to fortify the country from invading Turks. It was commissioned by Sultan Al-Ashraf Abou Anasr Saif El-Din Qaitbay El-Jerkasy Al-Zahiry (talk about a mouthful!) in 1480 A.D. The Citadel was erected on the exact site of the famous Lighthouse of Alexandria, a.k.a. "Pharos Lighthouse", which was one of the 7 Wonders of the Ancient World. Time and multiple earthquakes, eventually brought the mighty wonder down, leaving room and tactical vantage point for the fort to be built. It was massive and beautiful, and wonderfully restored. I had more fun exploring this Citadel than the one in Cairo, as I heard echoes of past and present reverberating through the towers. I was reluctant to leave the Citadel, but the last stop of my Alexandria trip was the Bibliotheca Alexandrina, which was an eye feast of true architectural delight! Prepare to be blown away by a library. Yep. A library. Go to my next blog.