Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I Shared a Toilet with Ann Curry

Today was a crazy day at work and one that was totally unexpected. First of all, we got word that Admiral Mullens (Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff) and a host of press people were coming to visit us today on their way to Afghanistan. What?!? And that wasn't all. Ann Curry from "The Today Show" was one of the news folks coming onboard. What?!?

Soooo, fast forward the situation. Ann Curry is sitting in the conference room across from my office. She has arrived early and I can hear her voice as I'm typing up a report on my computer. I eavesdrop shamelessly as she talked about growing up as a Navy brat and being familiar with the military life of moving around often.

I stayed in my seat, not wanting to appear as a rabid fan, by going in there to introduce myself and gush about how I enjoyed the show, blah, blah, blah... what she thought of Katie Couric's boyfriend... and what was her REAL opinion of the show since Merideth Vieira came onboard. You know. Girlfriend talk. But alas, I didn't go in there.

Instead, I continued to type up my report until I got up and used the private bathroom next to my office. As I was leaving the loo, I bumped into her as she was waiting to go inside. She smiled. I smiled back. I may have even given her the "Wazzsup?" nod. Who knows. It happened so fast.

As I returned to my computer, I heard the toilet flush... and realized that Ann Curry and I just shared the same toilet.

The End.

[Epilogue: Ann later approached me as she was leaving to see if I wanted her sandwich. She had ordered box lunches for her and the crew that went uneaten, and she didn't want them to go to waste. So, later on that afternoon after all the visitors left.... me... and Ann Curry's sandwich... had quiet time to reflect on the weirdness of the day.]