Thanks to my virtual skeleton keys, I tiptoed into entry ways of blogger homes that featured the "Two Edies", and ill-fatedly sealed my new obsession. Rather than wax poetic on the "Two Edies" and the Hampton estate for which the movie is named after, I will defer to the blog articles that whetted my appetite, and will have you also hungry for more.
How the former socialite and debutante found their way from 1930's East Hampton wealth and prestige to 1970's abject poverty and squalor, while cloaking their demented states in spirited charm, is beyond me. All I know is that I'm hooked - and in despair. The movie doesn't get released to DVD sales until July 14th. Grrrrrr. In the meantime I moved the 1976 Albert and David Maysles documentary, Grey Gardens to the top of my Netflix queue, but it still hasn't appeared in the mail. Fortunately, the "Two Edies" allowed the Maysles brothers to come in and film them, so that we have video footage of their kooky, yet arresting co-dependent relationship. If you get the chance, watch the HBO film and 1976 documentary. I hope Grey Gardens piques your interest as it did mine. Enjoy!