
Although the first day of Summer isn't officially declared until late June, I personally kick it off on the eve of Memorial Day week-end.... but this year I'm not feeling it. A lot of it has to do with the fact that I'm in Egypt.... and the rest of it with the fact that I am HOMESICK. For all my travels, home is the ONLY place I'd rather be. When I'm living in the states, I revolve my summer plans around my trips home to North Carolina. As I type this, I hear James Taylor's stirring melody playing in my head....
"In my mind I'm goin' to Carolina...Can't you see the sunshine...Can't you just feel the moonshine...Maybe just like a friend of mine...It hits me from behind...Yes I'm goin' to Carolina in my mind...."
I've been couchridden for the last coupla days with a nasty cold. The good thing about working at a research medical institute for infectious diseases is that if you're sick - you're encourage to stay home. And while it was good the first day, I am feeling serious pangs of cabin fever and homesickness on my 3rd day. Tomorrow I go back to work!
During my germ seclusion, I have pored over blogs and email communications and gotten a heavy dose of family updates that have me hankering for home. If I had not used so much vacation time at Christmas, I would've been able to squeeze in a visit this summer.... but then again, Christmas vacation was priceless and well worth every single moment of family time. I won't be home again until Christmas, and it's a lonnnng ways off..... Sigh.
To my family: Thank you for always keeping the light on, so I can always find my way back home. I love you around the world and back. I miss you.
"In my mind I'm goin' to Carolina...Can't you see the sunshine...Can't you just feel the moonshine...Maybe just like a friend of mine...It hits me from behind...Yes I'm goin' to Carolina in my mind...."
I've been couchridden for the last coupla days with a nasty cold. The good thing about working at a research medical institute for infectious diseases is that if you're sick - you're encourage to stay home. And while it was good the first day, I am feeling serious pangs of cabin fever and homesickness on my 3rd day. Tomorrow I go back to work!
During my germ seclusion, I have pored over blogs and email communications and gotten a heavy dose of family updates that have me hankering for home. If I had not used so much vacation time at Christmas, I would've been able to squeeze in a visit this summer.... but then again, Christmas vacation was priceless and well worth every single moment of family time. I won't be home again until Christmas, and it's a lonnnng ways off..... Sigh.
To my family: Thank you for always keeping the light on, so I can always find my way back home. I love you around the world and back. I miss you.
"Yes I'm goin' to Carolina in my mind ..."
[Gosh, I get sappy when I'm sick.]
