On 10 Nov 2009, the Chief of Naval Operations (CNO), Admiral Gary Roughead, the highest ranking officer in the U.S. Navy, visited Cairo to further maritime relations with Egypt's military forces. The CNO is the principal Naval adviser to the President of the United States, the Secretary of Defense, and the Secretary of the Navy on the conduct of war. The CNO is also a member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS). Incredibly, I had the privilege of meeting the Chairman of the Joint Chief of Staff (CJCS), Admiral Mike Mullens back in April. From a career standpoint, Cairo has been the most fortuitous tour where I've met the top brass of the Department of Defense. This is also inclusive of meeting our Commander in Chief, when he visited Cairo back in June. Not too many military personnel gets the opportunity to meet high profile leaders at the top. This ol' sailor continues to be amazed, and be ever humbled that she happened to be at the right time and the right place when these dignitaries passed through. I think Popeye would have been proud!
Saturday, November 21, 2009
CNO Visits Cairo
On 10 Nov 2009, the Chief of Naval Operations (CNO), Admiral Gary Roughead, the highest ranking officer in the U.S. Navy, visited Cairo to further maritime relations with Egypt's military forces. The CNO is the principal Naval adviser to the President of the United States, the Secretary of Defense, and the Secretary of the Navy on the conduct of war. The CNO is also a member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS). Incredibly, I had the privilege of meeting the Chairman of the Joint Chief of Staff (CJCS), Admiral Mike Mullens back in April. From a career standpoint, Cairo has been the most fortuitous tour where I've met the top brass of the Department of Defense. This is also inclusive of meeting our Commander in Chief, when he visited Cairo back in June. Not too many military personnel gets the opportunity to meet high profile leaders at the top. This ol' sailor continues to be amazed, and be ever humbled that she happened to be at the right time and the right place when these dignitaries passed through. I think Popeye would have been proud!