Thursday, June 3, 2010

Cape of Good Hope



On the second day of my tour, I toured the Cape Peninsula. The road trip was breathtaking as cliffs, surrounding mountain ranges, and swells of the Atlantic Ocean unfolded before my eyes.





Here I am in front of Hout Bay in Cape Town.



The drive on the Cape Peninsula showed cliffs rising prominently above the Atlantic.



After a 1. 5 hour southwesterly drive, I finally reached the entry to the Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve.






A female and male ostrich grazed openly as I passed by.





Rounding the bend, the Cape of Good Hope drew nearer.







Originally named the "Cape of Storms" in 1488, it was later renamed the "Cape of Good Hope" to lend an air of optimism for the opening trade routes to India and the East by Dutch traders who settled Cape Town in 1652.



Legendary folklore identified the Cape of Good Hope as the home of The Flying Dutchman, a ghostly ship crewed by ghoulish pirates that were doomed forever to sail its way on the turbulent waters of the rocky coast without ever succeeding in rounding the cape.





There were manmade steps that led up the cliffs. Regrettably, I didn't have time to climb it.



But more ambitious visitors found their way up its craggy pathways, and was rewarded with a spectacular view below.