Sunday, June 6, 2010

Kirstenbosch National Botanical Gardens

On my last exploration for the day, I visited the Kirstenbosch National Botanical Gardens just as the sun was setting. Founded in 1913, it's one of the most famous botanical gardens in the world, and it only cultivates and exhibits South African indigenous plants and flora.


I started out in the green house and then moved out to the sprawling grounds.



Beautiful statues were found throughout the property.





Nestled at the foot of Table Mountain, the imposing mountain range stood prominently over the gardens.



I came upon this flock of Guinea Fowls and followed them out into the open.























This Bird of Paradise hybrid was specifically cultivated to bloom yellow top petals. South Africans have named this particular hybrid, "Mandela's Gold," and is a popular sought flora.



I loved this statue. I thought the sculptor caught the essence of this big cat.



And then it was back to where I started.... what a wonderful day of explorations!