Saturday, June 5, 2010

South African Penguins at Boulders Beach

In 1982, a pair of African Penguins chose to mate at Boulders Beach on the Cape Peninsula, and thus began a colony that has grown to about 3,000. It was remarkable to see these penguins in their chosen environment wander about freely, and live in harmony with the residential community nearby.

As we neared Boulders Beach, penguin crossing signs were posted at every street corner.

When I arrived, I was ecstatic to see these little 9" tuxedo clad-like birds waddling about or resting. They were SO adorable!









Young penguins are born with charcoal grey fuzz. This one was snuggling with its mama.









Penguins mate for life, and it was sweet watching them bond with each other.













These two were especially endearing as they tried to convince this elderly couple to open the gate, so they could waddle around the neighborhood. LOL.

I thoroughly enjoyed my visit, and loved my time with the African Penguins. I thought penguins had to live in an arctic environment to survive, therefore it was a great discovery to learn they could colonize in warmer climes. If I could have gotten away with taking one home, I would have hid one in my backpack. LOL. They were so darn cute!