Monday, December 8, 2008

The Amazing Race

Today my desert posse, the COT (a.k.a. circle of trust), surprised me with a going away game invented just for yours truly. It was the Mojave version of the Amazing Race, the reality tv show, in which people go from place to place based on clues they received in hopes of obtaining the ultimate prize.

Here's how it began: I was walking out the door with Kirsten (whom I've been staying with since I moved out of my house) on our way to meet our friend Thida for lunch, when she turns to me and tells me that I will be traveling alone. What? My mind was quickly confused. She explained that since I was always subjecting (bullying?) the COT to play games at our various get togethers, then it was high time that I had my turn... "I" had to play "their game" for once.

Instructions were given to me on colored construction paper. 1) Bring camera. 2) Take Pictures. 3) Wait for clue. 4) Go to next clue-inclined location.

Clue #1 was written on colored construction paper: A place where I ordered food for our MSC Officers Association meeting... mnnnnnn.

Happy to play, but still befuddled that this was happening to me, I jumped in my SUV and headed out to where I thought was the right place.

YES!! I guessed it right! They know I love ordering from China Inn.

Suzanne was there patiently waiting for me. She gave me a verbal clue for Clue #2: "I wonder where I can order a smoothie...."

I climbed into my SUV again and headed to Wonder Garden Cafe. It's a great health food cafe. They make the BEST organic smoothies!

At Wonder Garden, Kirsten was there smiling impishly as she handed me Clue #3 on blue construction paper: A place where I often eat with the girlz for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Aha! I knew this one through and through. I headed to Joshua Tree in my SUV, and braked at Crossroads Cafe; a favorite hangout where the girlz and I often eat n'commiserate.
At Crossroads, Dawn was there with a big grin on her face as she handed me Clue #4, which she had jotted on a butterfly notecard.
The clue hinted a place that was dark and where we've sat and watched many stars - including Brad Pitt.

I knew exactly where to go. I climbed back into my SUV and off I went. Destination: Cinema 6.
Sure enough, the Herreras' were there waiting for me: Jen, Max, Matea, & Josh. I LOVE THIS FAMILY! I consider them "my second family". Matea and Josh are my surrogate niece and nephew. The three of us have had so many outings together. We have so much fun that we sometimes forget the time, enough so that Max has to call me and ask when I plan to return the children. LoL.

They handed me Clue #5 on purple construction paper (don't you just love Jen's scrapbooking talents?): A place where we shared our first Open Mike Night over Chai Tea Delight.

Open Mike Night? Hellloooooo: Water Canyon Coffee Co!!!
When I arrived there, the COT were there waiting for me with big smiles. I made it! I found them! Yippeee... but the race wasn't over.

We headed over to Applebees for my going away luncheon!
Thank you, my precious COT (and junior COTs), for devising and/or participating in this crazy game that I will always remember. It was a creative way to say good-bye to me. A special memory that I will always treaure. Special thanks to Jen and Kirsten for coordinating the Amazing Race... and succeeding with carrying it out without my prior knowledge. I was totally surprised... and deeply touched. As I finish out this week, I'll try my darnedest not to be a blubbering mess by week's end. I love ya, guys!