Sunday, December 14, 2008

Little Miss Photogenic

Congratulations to my niece Yasmine (in above photo with 1 of her trophies), who did grrrreat in her first beauty pageant. Over 900 applicants from all over the U.S. submitted their entries to compete in this pageant, but only 189 girls were selected. The pageant held four age-category competitions, and Yasmine's was "Miss Junior Pre-Teen". Out of the 45 contestants in the "Miss Junior Pre-Teen" group, Yasmine walked away "3rd Runner Up" and was awarded "Most Photogenic". She won two trophies for the aforementioned, and an all expense paid trip to Orlando, Florida along with the chance to sign up with John Casablancas Modeling Agency. Sadly, I couldn't be there in person on her big night, but I was there in spirit across several state lines. While I'm not a big proponent of beauty pageants in general, I am a big proponent of my niece's happiness.... and from the voicemail that she left me right after the pageant, I can attest that she was very, very happy indeed. Here's Yassy and her mom below (my sister Mely) proudly holding up her 2 trophies.

Side Note: Above pic stolen from my sister Pamela's blog. Sisters, afterall, share and share alike... kinda like the sweater I never saw again after I left for college. (hint hint)