

Something phenomenal has swept popculture America recently with the new release of "Twilight", a movie based on the first book of a 4-book series written by Stephenie Meyer. The movie has inadvertently catapulted the book saga to best-selling phenomena, thereby finding it compared lately to the Harry Potter craze. Both book series had the successful ability to transcend the age barriers and find its burgeoning mass appeal amongst adult readers. In the last year, I remember BFFs from various parts of the States hooked on these books - and their ardent attempts to sell me on them. I heard buzz words like "vampires", "werewolves", "love story", "teenagers".... {SCREEEEECH!}.... and like that I was no longer interested. C'mon! A teenage love story involving vampires and werewolves? How lame is that??? This series did NOT have me at "hello".... AND to top it off, this series would be found under the "Teen Literature" section of the book store. I mean, sheesh. Just the fact that "Twilight" would be found in the same section as the "High School Musical" novels made me cringe. Pull-eeese!!! And then {SNAP!}.... the strangest thing happened. The debut of the "Twilight" movie right before Thanksgiving smashed all Box-Office expectations.... and the hype was heard around the world. Enough so, that it pulled THIS reluctant bookworm to try it. So, last night with "Twilight" in hand, I started reading at 7:30 and by midnight I had read 310 pages ---with another 188 to go!!! I was so mad that I had to go to sleep because of work! The book is FANTASTIC!!! It draws you in like a spider weaving a web for unsuspecting victims.... and I was the victim! Tonight I rushed home after work and read like a crazed lunatic from 6-9 pm AND FINISHED IT. The only thing was that it made me hungry for more. I called furtively around until I was able to find friends who would loan me the remaining sequels: "New Moon", "Eclipse", and "Breaking Dawn". Fueled by the high of the first read, I spearheaded a team of "Twilight" moviegoers to go watch it with me tomorrow; a movie that I was initially going to wait for its release on video. Now, not so much. Siggghh. (I hate it when my OCD traits kick-in. LoL.) My plan of action is to have the ENTIRE series read within the week, albeit a busy schedule... and seeing that I am a speed reader only when captivated, the fruition of this goal will be distinctly - and assuredly - met. So, if you haven't started reading them yet, jump on the "Twilight" magic carpet ride and get those books a crackin'!