Monday, August 24, 2009

What's Going On In Mah 'Hood?



Yesterday a friend and I walked around the neighborhood to take pics of Iftar lanterns called fanus (singular) or fawanees (plural) that were hung for Ramadan. Traditionally in the past, fawanees were lit at dusk to indicate when it was time to break the fast. They would be hoisted atop minarets (ottoman towers), tree tops, and outside people's homes to commence the gathering of Iftar. Fawanees also served as a beacon to welcome outsiders to join the feast indoors, and children would gaily go out in the streets at night carrying miniature fawanees, as people bestowed them with treats and coins. At dawn another lantern would be raised to signal the end of the night's feasting, and resumed the day's fasting. Today fawanees serve more as holiday symbols. They've become for Ramadan, what Christmas trees have become for Christmas. Therefore, Egyptians, regardless of religion, hang their fawanees at Ramadan to represent tolerance, good will, thanksgiving, and charity.





I especially liked how these row of trees were gaily decorated!





Our stroll had worked up an appetite for us, therefore we hastily made out way to the BEST burgers in town!



But it wasn't this place. LoL. Aren't you just "tickled pink" by the color?



Here's a tidbit I betcha didn't know....



MICKEY D's DELIVERS IN EGYPT! Fast food delivery is the norm here. I still shake my head when I see the Mickey D scooters drive by. Dontcha wish your hometown golden arches delivered at your front door? LoL.



Our hastened steps took us to Lucille's. A burger joint founded by an American ex-pat, who opened the restaurant with her name in 1996. Described as a colorful Erin Brockovich-like character, Lucille has attributed her success to the ol' fashion burgers that have customers lining up outside her doors. I can personally attest this to be true, as we waited for 45 minutes to get seated.... but our sauteed Mushroom Cheese Burgers were well worth the wait! They were sooooo yummylicious!!!