Monday, July 27, 2009

Arriving in Kenya


Packed and ready to go! (My li'l
backpack got a duffel upgrade. LoL.)


My first sighting of the Masai Mara!


The puddle jumper, a.k.a. Kenya Airways


Governors' Camp or Bust!


Toasting my 1st Safari!


Tent #9 - Home Away From Home.


This bed was sooo comfy!


Yes! Bathroom with hot n' cold
running water!! And my own shower!



I'm back and a l'il bit travel worn, but man it was a GREAT adventure! I kept a travel journal, since I was blogless in Kenya and will be transcribing my adventures in the days to come as I sort through 700 pictures that will correlate with my travelogue. I wish I was still there, but all good journeys must come to an end, so that the next adventure can begin --- right?

Thursday, 23 July 2009

I left at midnight and arrived in Kenya at 6 am. It took an hour to get through customs, but as soon as I did a safari rep greeted me with my name on a white placard. I was dropped off at a smaller airport and from there, I flew an hour west to the small airstrip on the Masai Mara. This was nothing more than a dirt runway coated with light gravel. LoL. I was deposited onto an open Land Rover, which took me 15 min later to the entry way of Governor's Camp, a luxury safari camp that has been in operation since 1972. Formerly a safari site reserved a century earlier for Kenya's colonial governors and royal visitors, it has since been a successful safari camp boasting of 37 large sized tents with ensuite bathrooms, outdoor bar, dining facilities, and spas. It has also lured high profile safari guests such as the tv crew of the BBC Big Cats Diary, Senator Obama, President Carter, and Princess Diana. On the way to the camp, game sightings were immediate as we passed warthogs, zebras, gazelles, and baboons foraging on the savannahs of the Masai Mara. I can see why the movie, Out of Africa, was filmed here. When I arrived at Governor's Camp, I was warmly greeted and handed hot steamed hand towels to wipe away the day's travel grit, along with a refreshing glass of passion fruit juice served in a coconut cup. Talk about a great first impression! The hours of the camp activities were laid out to everyone:

6:30-9:00 Early Morning Game Drive
9:00-10:30 Breakfast Serving Hours
10:30-12:30 Mid Morning Game Drive
12:30-2:00 Lunch Serving Hours
3:30-6:30 Afternoon Game Drive
8:00-10:00 Dinner Serving Hours

I was escorted to Tent #9, which had a view of the Mara River. I immediately liked my rustic, but-oh-so-comfortable home away from home, and then I was whisked away to the outdoor dining area on the main lawn. It overlooked the Mara River where lunch was waiting to be served. I have made plans to go on my first game drive after lunch. I can't hardly wait to see what's in store for me!