Monday, July 27, 2009

Maasai Warriors at Lunch













Thursday, 23 July 2009

Have I mentioned that the grub here is fabulous and cooked by a 5-star gourmet chef? Breakfast and lunch are served via a buffet line, and dinner is more formal under a roofed patio terrace. My first meal was served on white china and forest green table linens on the grassy lawn overlooking the Mara River and near the outdoor bar and lounging deck. Lunch consisted of a four course meal that started with pumpkin and mint soup, Greek salad, grilled fish fillets sauteed in fresh dill, jasmine rice, curry chicken, garlic potatoes, steamed broccoli, and a carrot and snow peas vegetable medley, topped off with an icy pear sorbet served in a coconut bowl. Needless to say, I'll be eating very well while I'm here!!! Near our tables were marsh mongoose, playing and cavorting on the lawn. LoL. Apparently, they're a welcomed sight at the camp because they keep the snakes away. Remember the most famous mongoose of all - Rikki Tikki Tavi??? I loved RTT!!! Halfway through my meal, local Maasai warriors from the local tribe came over and performed a ceremonial dance. They chanted while they danced, and did a lot of jumping. One of the staff explained that in the ceremony, the warrior who could dance the highest was the most heralded, and if he was in need of a wife, he would be given first selection privileges. Wowee. I signed up to go to the local Maasai village tomorrow, and looked forward to learning more about the Maasai culture. For now, I need to head back to my tent and get ready for my first game drive. More to follow!