
Saturday, 25 July 2009
Well, it's day 3 of my Safari adventure and I have 2 more big-games left to find (leopard & rhino) and the great wildebeest migration to see. So far, in the last coupla days I've only seen one or two wildebeests out on the rolling plains of the Masai Mara. Ugh! Gideon, my game guide, explained that since the Mara River was low this year, the wildebeests were slow to come into Kenya in the first month of the migration season. The migration takes place annually from July to October when 2 million wildebeests cross from the Serengeti of Tanzania into the Masai Mara as they look for water and ample grasslands. By this time, I should've already seen overwhelming herds but none of my drives have come across them. So, this morning's game drive had my group heading a little farther west near the Mara River to see if we could find them coming into the Masai. As luck would have it, we saw a gazillion wildebeests ahead of us dotting the landscape! I was so stoked! As we got closer, I saw them running free and frolicking in wild abandon. It was soooo kewl! Then I heard them lowing, a sound similar to a cow's moo with a hint of a foghorn's blare. I couldn't help but laugh when they lowed at my safari group, because we lowed back and then it became a lowing contest! LoL. It was a wonderful experience being in the midst of the great wildebeest migration. It was exactly what I wanted to see... resembled what I read about... and that it indeed was one of "life's greatest spectacle on Earth". Life was good!
Well, it's day 3 of my Safari adventure and I have 2 more big-games left to find (leopard & rhino) and the great wildebeest migration to see. So far, in the last coupla days I've only seen one or two wildebeests out on the rolling plains of the Masai Mara. Ugh! Gideon, my game guide, explained that since the Mara River was low this year, the wildebeests were slow to come into Kenya in the first month of the migration season. The migration takes place annually from July to October when 2 million wildebeests cross from the Serengeti of Tanzania into the Masai Mara as they look for water and ample grasslands. By this time, I should've already seen overwhelming herds but none of my drives have come across them. So, this morning's game drive had my group heading a little farther west near the Mara River to see if we could find them coming into the Masai. As luck would have it, we saw a gazillion wildebeests ahead of us dotting the landscape! I was so stoked! As we got closer, I saw them running free and frolicking in wild abandon. It was soooo kewl! Then I heard them lowing, a sound similar to a cow's moo with a hint of a foghorn's blare. I couldn't help but laugh when they lowed at my safari group, because we lowed back and then it became a lowing contest! LoL. It was a wonderful experience being in the midst of the great wildebeest migration. It was exactly what I wanted to see... resembled what I read about... and that it indeed was one of "life's greatest spectacle on Earth". Life was good!