Friday, July 31, 2009

Last Day Safari Blues

Sunday, 26 July 2009

This morning's sunrise (as was all sunrises here) was
absolutely gorgeous, and totally got me through my
bout of last-day-safari-blues. I didn't want my trip to end!
The camp's balloon safari ride was up and running.
I wonder what the Maasai thought of this sighting?
Saw a family of elephants wading in the Marsh.
Then this long-necked beauty came peeking from behind a bush.
Eureka! We struck gold! A leopard sighting at last!!
We headed back to the camp elated. Just have
one more big-game 5 sighting to go! 1-Rhino-a-go-go!
But breakfast was interrupted by a cape buffalo
that showed up dangerously close to the camp's edge.

We were too excited to think of the danger....

But the Maasai patrol had it under control.
Then it was back to my final game drive before
I was to leave for Nairobi. Goal: Rhino!

Instead we spotted Maasai illegally bringing
in their cows to graze on the Game Reserves.

Totally blatant.... and totally busted!!!

There must've been about 200 cows.

"Bad boys, bad boys... Whatcha gonna do?
Whatcha gonna do when they come for you?"
Unfortunately, I never saw a rhino. Ugh! Had to
head back to camp so I could make my flight.
According to my game guide, rhinos have become scarce.
Sadly, only 37 black rhinos were left on the Masai Mara. :(
But I did see a couple of lions on the way back to the camp.
Cameras whipped out and quickly clicked away...
As these royal ladies headed back to their pride.
I looked back at the camp, as I headed for the air strip.
And the sight of "Major Tom" (dubbed affectionately by
the staff) was both sad and comforting. His cheerful smile
and snap salute were always the last things we saw before
turning into the camp at the end of the day. Overall, it
was a fun-packed and thrilling 4 days, and one that I will
never forget. Everyone should live by the rules of the wild:
Hakuna Matata! (Kiswahili for "No worries!! Be happy!!")