Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Acropolis of the Mycenae


After I crossed the Corinth Canal, I headed to the acropolis of the Mycenae. The Mycenaeans were the first true Greek civilization (1580-1100 B.C.). They built palaces on hilltops fortified by large blocks of stones called "Cyclopean walls", bc the ancients believed that only the mythical one-eyed giant, Cyclops, could have formed them. Construction of this acropolis (city in the air) began in 15 century B.C. However, it was destroyed by fire in 12 century B.C. with the collapse of the Mycenaean dominance.



The best known feature of the acropolis was the "Lion Gate," which was built in 1250 B.C. The two lions facing each other represented power and dominance.
As I entered through the Lion Gate, I immediately looked down to the remains of the lower city that primarily consisted of houses and a large circular tomb.


I loved being high up with the clouds!

I looked through a grated hole of an ancient window,
and another one below that was somewhat broken.




As I left the acropolis of the Mycenae, I captured the photo above which reminded me of a smoking volcano. What do you think?