Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Hard Rock Cafe Cairo


After the Pharonic Village, Deb and I worked up an appetite for BOTH FOOD and COLD DRINKS! Poor Deb got a little loopy, since we didn't get a chance to sneak away for something cold like we did yesterday at the Giza pyramids. Her voice got raspy, and she really got hot as the morning dragged on without her giving in to the need to quench her thirst. I was so proud of her because she hung in there until we got to Hard Rock Cafe Cairo, where the "western world" environment gave us the freedom again to eat and drink to our hearts' desires. Touring Cairo during Ramadan has been challenging, since it is considered rude to eat or drink something in front of someone that is fasting. Since 90% of the country is fasting, it's been very difficult! Undergoing a couple hours of "PC" fasting have earned an even greater respect for Muslims in our book! Especially, since they are observing this spiritual ritual for about 12 hours daily x 30 days--- all covered up and in the throes of the desert heat! Totalllllly unbelievable!!!
This bartender was hilarious and so spirited!
Here's Deb downing her THIRD glass of cold iced tea in 10 min.
And may I add that my passion fruit slushy was also deliciously refreshing? The bartender put 4 straws together, so my straw extended out a lonnnnng ways. Too Too Funny! LoL.
Because Muslims don't eat pork, they replaced all the pork entrees (i.e. ribs and bbq sandwiches ) with lamb. The latter intrigued us, so we decided to give it a try.
It was soooo good, except um, er.... I pulled a "Shirley" by getting the knife stuck in the ketchup bottle. LoL. Since nothing came out when I tried to pour ketchup on my fries, I got the bright idea to stick my knife in the bottle, and um.... got it stuck! Debbie had to to yank it real hard for it to come out!!! Oh, the life that we lead as Laverne and Shirley. LoL.
Posing with our very kewl and very hip waiter Emad. Fo' shizzle!
I was so digging Hard Rock's ceiling! I really liked this saxophone chandelier. Kewl, huh?
And of course, you can't be at a restaurant during Ramadan, without sighting of a fanus or two.

We left Hard Rock re-energized and totally satiated....
and with a little souvenir in tow fo' sho. LoL.