Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Shopping at the Khan Remedies All Ailments

Last night Deb and I went to City Stars Mall to do a little shopping. It started out as an uneventful excursion, until I got food poisoning. Ugh! I still felt ill this morning, so Deb went to the Citadel with the tour guide, while I slept in and tried to nurse my ailing tummy. Oy! When Debbie came back, I was feeling a little better so we headed to the Khan el-Khalili Bazaar; the oldest bazaar in the world that dates back to the 14th century. Once referred to as a "Turkish bazaar" during the reign of the Ottoman Empire, it continues to be a colorful and bustling market today that covers several blocks of Old Cairo. There were so MANY exotic goods that enticed us from the get go! Deb was like a kid in a candy store, as she shopped to her heart's content and completed 3/4 of her Christmas shopping. Whoa!

What Bargains! Blown Glass!

We left as shops were closing for Iftar (breaking of the fast), signaled by the chanting of the evening's prayers that could be heard from the mosque across the way. Day 4 of Deb's visit was complete. Tomorrow we head to the Sakkara Step Pyramids!