In June 2009 the new Acropolis Museum opened, and it was hailed a totally modern state of the art wonder. I can attest this to be true, because I visited it soon after I made my descent from the very temples that its statues and artifacts used to be housed. Thankfully, the museum was an easy 10 min walk from the base entrance of The Acropolis.
What I liked about the museum was the fact that archaeological sites below the museum were exposed by contemporary plexiglass. This was part of the floor and ceiling material of all 4 floors, so no matter what floor you were on inside the museum you could see all the floors by simply looking up or down. Note to future visitors: Do not wear a dress when touring the museum!
Here's a pic of my feet atop said plexiglass floor.
Outside, the plexiglass floors extended to the base of the steps that led to the private road in front of the museum.
No photos were allowed beyond the museum's 1st level shop. Ugh!
Inside the museum, it was very light and airy as each floor basically had skylights of plexiglass. All sides of the museum also had floor to ceiling windows. The side that faced The Acropolis was very dramatic, as visitors automatically focused on the Parthenon looming largely in the distance. The interior was further accentuated with track lighting that twinkled off the plexiglass floors with bedazzling effect. All the exhibits were amazingly preserved and beautifully displayed.