I was so proud of our Iftar event! I LOVE EVENT PLANNING!
We set up tables around the water fountain, and the evening's summer breezes and the twinkling lights of the fawanees hanging in the trees on the property made for a beautiful event.
Unfortunately, I was so busy mingling that I didn't take too many pictures. After dinner, there were games set aside for the kiddies. The men smoked their shishas, and we had talented individuals at work put on a live performance of traditional Egyptian music.
This was the "Tamarin Man". LoL. I can't remember the Egyptian Arabic word for him, but he was a neat little fellow. He carried around this drink contraption as he poured us tamarin juice (traditionally served at Iftar), while he announced his advancement with his little gawharet el fans or finger cymbals.
The Heritage Committee pulled off another successful event! Through the efforts of a handful of motivated individuals, we have been able to put together culturally enriching programs starting with the MLK Remembrance in January, African American History in February, Women's History in March, Asian Pacific Islander in May, Egyptian Cultural Awareness in July, and Iftar in September. We've been a busy committee and have grown in leaps and bounds with each program. It's been wonderful to have Egyptians learn as much from our culture, as we have learned from theirs! I am grateful that we have made a difference.