Thursday, September 24, 2009

Walking Amongst the Ancient Agora

On my 2nd day of my Greek vacation, I did a walking tour of the Ancient Agora, which was the marketplace or "gathering place" located in the foothills of The Acropolis. To get there I had to go through a modern day marketplace, which was on the outskirts of my destination. It was a lot of fun going through this alley way of flea market vendors and outdoor cafes' as I sifted through junk to find possible treasures. I love thrift finds!














Unsuccessful with finding a trinket "that spoke to me", I continued on my search for the Ancient Agora. I found it midway up the alley way as I detoured into the place that once was the city's hub; the center that not only served as a bustling commerce, but was also a gathering place for politics, culture, and religion.








It was interesting walking amongst the rubble trying to imagine what the Ancient Agora had been like during its time. On my journey, I found this li'l beauty hiding amongst the stones!

On the western slope of the Agora was the Temple of Hephaestus, which is considered to be the best preserved temple in Greece.




After my walk, I headed to the National Archaeological Museum to find treasures of another kind!